Saturday, April 23, 2011

Lambing Update

Lambing this year is winding down, so I thought I’d catch up on the most recent lambs.

First, Primrose had a ram and a ewe this year out of Little Buckaroo, our F1 half-poll Jericho ram. The ewe is a collage of color, and a fawn yuglet socket katmoget. She has a lot of growing to do as both she and her brother are small, but she looks nice. I love the small eye patches. Actually, Primrose is our smallest ewe, so it doesn’t surprise me that these two are on the small side.



Her brother is also very pretty. He is a fawn katmoget with nice facial markings.



These lambs are 41% UK. Not sure if these lambs carry one or both horned genes. Primrose is not a poll carrier, but Buckaroo is. The ram has horn buds.

Peridot lambed this morning, and I’m very impressed with her ewe lamb out of Pompey. This was a linebreeding where I was trying to bring out certain characteristics that I admire in both Bond and Pompey. It’s early, but I really like this grey katmoget lamb. This was the first Bond lamb I bred back to Pompey, and although I know it won’t work every time, it did here. This lamb is 43% UK. As I said earlier, we threw Peridot in with Pompey late, primarily because I really wanted to see how this cross would work.





And last, but not least, is Cor de Nuit’s fawn katmoget lamb out of Pompey. This may very well be the nicest lamb we’ve ever had born here at Whispering Pines. Oh my goodness, she has just about everything I could ask for in a lamb. She’s big, so that might be influencing my assessment, but she is just a knockout lamb. She is 44% UK.



That’s it for now. Three more ewes to go: One bred to Egyptian King (Blue Sapphire), one bred to Buckaroo (Irish Lace), and one bred to Pompey (Shiobhan). I’m very interested in all of them!

1 comment:

stephen rouse said...

Rich and Jen... your lambs are just incredible. That lamb out of Pompey and Cor de Nuit is a "stunner". Can't wait to see them grow!