Saturday, March 10, 2018

What I am working on

I am very excited to announce that I now chain ply.



Yes, I have advanced one rung up the ladder of spinning enlightenment by adding chain plying to my list of skills.  I have been trying to figure out how to make self striping yarns for my knitting clients.  Did the rolag idea, not a fan of the blending board, spent way too much time trying to get the rolags off the sticks. 

I couldn't figure out how to make them look pretty
Then did the weighing of each color and splitting it and putting it in the same order to the point where I was doing this:

Ridiculous


Then this week I watched a youtube video on chain plying, and then just got on my wheel and did it.  Struggled a little to figure out how to minimize the barber pole at the point where the new color starts.

Sent out a question to my instagram friends and got this guidance, "Make the loops smaller".  Smack my forehead with the ball of my hand, "I shoulda had a V-8 Style".  It worked.  How did we learn stuff before social media?

I love chain plying!!!  I feel like I am back playing cat's in the cradle with my little sister.  Hope you like self striping yarns cause this is my new thing.  Next trick will be to make two skeins with same striping scheme so you can make a pair of matching socks or mittens.





The other amazing thing this week was Jon Snow's rooed fleece.  It is crazy soft.  I know I say that about everything, but this wool feels like it came off our Hazel, our angora bunny.


Who I found out doesn't hate me because every time I reach in her cage she scratches me.  She hates my gender.  Apparently she sees me as a threat to her breeding prowess.  She looooooves Rich though.  Wouldn't dream of scratching wonderful Rich.

Anyways back to Jon Snow's fleece.  I am carding now, little different experience than a sheared fleece, but I'm getting the hang of it.  Will spin into yarn and be very happy.


Move over Elizabeth Bennet, Jon Snow is now first in line on the carding table.


Here is a skein from Elizabeth Bennett - nice moorit yarn.



Here is a hat I've started from Vogue's yarn which was left over from the Bousta beanie.


Cody is a looking a little embarrased this morning as he pooped on the floor.  He hates himself when he does it.  I keep telling him its my fault, I was so engrossed in my chain plying I didn't notice his signals.

And here is the view from my kitchen window this morning.


2 comments:

Michelle said...

Is that a greyhound??? SOMEday I will get a retired greyhound; I've dreamed of it for over 30 years!

Jen and Rich Johnson said...

He is a whippet, one size down. I hope you get one, the breed family is a very cool, laid back kind of dog.