Saturday, March 3, 2018

What I am working on

Good morning my beautiful girls, you lovely little lamb factories!



Scheduled the shearer for mid April.  Very big day for us, can't contain my excitement.  Here is all that's left from prior year's clip.


Rich took fiber samples during the week from entire flock and got those sent over to Texas A&M so looking forward to getting our AFD data back in a few weeks.



I am working on carding and spinning Elizabeth Bennett's lovely moorit fleece.  I was demo-ing flicking and spinning her during the fiber festival last week.





Also washing Anne Elliott today, very pretty katmoget with exceptional crimp, this will be really springy when spun up.



Jon Snow, our grey kat ram lamb, has been shedding a little, so Rich and I roo'd him.  Thought I had videoed it, but of course screwed it up.  Here he is mid way through.


Here is the fleece we got from him:


And here he is afterwards.  Didn't bother with the britch, looks a little silly but the shearer can clean him up in a few weeks.



And here is the hoof print he left on my face while I was plucking his wool. 



And here is the mess I will be organizing this weekend after the fiber festival.  Love organizing.
I always think about that lady that went from farm to farm pulling wool off the fences to spin.  You could make 3 sweaters from the wool I have laying around on the floor of my workspace.  Disgraceful.




1 comment:

English sheep gal said...

Well you have been busy! Enjoy bringing order to your wool room chaos, poor Jon Snow, with his britch wool still there, he probably kicked you for making him look silly! Seriously, hope your face is OK after close contact with those pointy hooves.

I love the very dark grey color peeking out at bottom of photo, do you think there's enough color variation in his fleece to spin a variagated 'darkest to lightest' yarn? I'm thinking that would make a lovely hat - I'm interested in buying that, when it's time for you to process that fleece.

Any thoughts on a theme you may use to name this years lambs?