Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Ewe-A-Day - Blue Sapphire



Blue Sapphire has always been a flock favorite and we are excited to get black-based sheep out of her next spring if we can. We have several of her offspring in our flock and we have sold several of her excellent sons. Egyptian Autumn was one of those sons and I believe he is one of the best rams around. Blue Sapphire is out of Sheltering Pines Onyx Velour and Sheltering Pines Blue’s Clues, who was an F2 Jericho. Great fleece on this ewe! I can honestly say she is one of the best Spotted Shetlands I have seen, and I am glad we have been able to keep several of her ewe lambs. Her fleece stats are: 26.7/4.6/17.3/8.3/25.2.
This is a classic example of why I rely so much on the SF. Sapphire’s SF is 25.2, which seems to match what her fleece feels like. If one were to only look at her average of 26.7, it might not stand out. Of course, she is 5 years old...and spotted. A few years ago, we were lucky to have two year old ewes with fleece numbers like that. As I will say more than once in this series of posts, the average micron isn't the Holy Grail. I've had lower averages than hers, but it's the handle that matters, and hers is excellent, as the SF suggests. I'd like to have a few more like her.
Not much to fault with this ewe.

No comments: